You are welcome to visit St Wilfrid Harrogate to attend a service, an activity in the hall, a concert or just to have a look around.
St Wilfrid Harrogate is located near Harrogate town centre, on Duchy Road. There is free car parking at the rear of the church. If you are arriving by train or bus there are bus stops along Ripon Road which are a 5 minute walk away, or the main town centre bus station is a pleasant 15 minute walk through the town centre and into the Duchy Estate.
Due to current COVID-19 restrictions we are open for services Monday – Friday at 6pm and Sunday at 10am and on Wednesdays at 11am – 1pm for private prayer and visits. This is subject to change so please call the office on 01423 504629 to check before visiting.
Address: St Wilfrid’s Church, Duchy Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 2EY
Telephone: 01423 504 629
Parish Office: Monday – Thursday; 9.30am – 1.30pm, Friday 10.30am – 1.30pm
Visiting St Wilfrid’s? Need somewhere to stay? Travelodge are offering visitors a special discounted rate on stays at their Harrogate hotel. To receive a 5% discount on accomodation at the hotels below click here
Travelodge Hotels in and around Harrogate:
“The biggest and by far the best of Harrogate’s churches, the masterwork of Temple Moore”Pevsner, Buildings of England
When you enter the church, look out for the following:
- The beautifully painted and carved rood screen figures
- The stained glass. Most is by Victor Milner, but can you spot the later windows by Harry Harvey and Francis Stephens?
- The finely painted panels on the pulpit (designed by Temple Moore) and on the reredos on the high altar
- The bas-relief panels around the walls of the nave depicting Christ’s nativity, Our Lord’s Passion, Death, Resurrection and Ascension. These were created by local artist Frances Darlington.
- The Verona marble font with the dove representing the Holy Spirit above, a sculpture by Leslie Durbin
- If the parish hall is open, take a look at the stunning “lamella” ceiling.
There are toilet facilities available in the parish hall, which is usually open and in use during the week. At weekends the hall may not be open. If you wish to look at the hall as part of your visit, please contact the parish office on 01423 504629.
There is no café on site. If you would like refreshments the Cairn, Swan or Majestic Hotels are all nearby. Cold Bath Road and Valley Gardens are a 5 minute walk from St Wilfrid’s where you can find cafes and restaurants.
The church is accessible with wheelchairs if you have assistance. The floor in the church and paths outside are uneven.